Uses of Author Interviews for Book Clubs
Watch a movie of the author reading from your book club's selection,
for example …
Meet the authors of your book club's selections to learn about their insights and processes,
for example …
What is an Author Interview?
- Author Interviews are interviews with authors and illustrators in video, audio, and written formats.
- Meet-the-Author Programs are filmed by TeachingBooks.net in the homes and studios of award-winning authors and illustrators to enable readers to connect with the author the moment they are studying a book.
Authors talk about:
- Working with ideas
- Doing research
- Bringing history to life
- Being a professional author
- Diverse art techniques
- Approaches to book design
- Illustrating fiction and nonfiction
- Being a professional illustrator
Share how you use Author Interviews with book clubs.*
Here are some curricular uses submitted by educators…
- "I use the Author Interviews to encourage students to compare and contrast the author with themselves."
- "I use the interviews to spark discussions in a book club. While reading, members glean some background about the author and understand more of the purpose behind some passages or characters.."
- "I begin a book club discussion by showing the author interview. We are listening to what the author says about what went into the writing of the book. This brings history to life and also helps the students work with ideas."