Special Education Standards Support
Inspired by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards1, the reference points that are bolded below can enhance special ed instruction.
Support multiple learning styles with literary resources in a variety of formats.
- Explore the diverse collection of resources for Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis.
Build background knowledge and provide opportunities to preteach with author resources.
- Glean insights from Joseph Bruchac as he introduces and shares some of the backstory for creating Code Talker: A Novel about the Navajo Marines of World War Two.
Recognize and discuss differing abilities with the support of book guides, activities, and lessons.
- Journey with Catherine as she grapples with a range of emotions as she moves through life with her brother who has autism with a sample lesson plan for Rules by Cynthia Lord. See more resources here
- Share a struggling reader's experience in this first-hand account from author Patricia Polacco. Thank You, Mr. Falker is a book of appreciation.
Prepare students for critical reading by developing academic language and vocabulary.
1. Referenced from "Exceptional Needs Standards." National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, http://www.nbpts.org/wp-content/uploads/ECYA-ENS.pdf.a