Explore the varied inspiration and purpose behind musicians' work.
- Hear the story of a child's courage and perseverance in Margarita Engle's Meet-the-Author Book Reading about Drum Dream Girl.
Learn the backstory of famous musicians, genres, and approaches.
- Bring the music-making process to life with Christopher Myers' Meet-the-Author Book Reading for Jazz.
Discover ways authors and illustrators analyze, describe, and express music (genres).
- Listen and hear how the rhythm of Alexis DeVeaux's words mirror the rhythm of the music in the Meet-the-Author Book Reading for Don't Explain: A Song of Billie Holiday.
Connect content and provide historical background about world events
- Consider M.T. Anderson's blog post on his research for Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad describing the critical importance of music meeting military history.
1. Referenced from the National Core Arts Standards © 2015 National Coalition for Core Arts Standards. Rights administered by State Education Agency Directors of Arts Education (SEADAE). All rights reserved. http://nationalartsstandards.org/