Technical Services, Collection Development Librarian / Children's & Young Adult
40-43 hours per week
Become a key member of the TeachingBooks collaborative team of librarians and educators that develop and maintain our ever-evolving digital collection of resources about fiction and nonfiction trade books for children and teens. Work with metadata specific to authors, titles, awards, distinctions, series, lists, and reading programs, with a priority on resources that reflect our commitments to diversity and Intellectual Freedom.
Forward-looking librarian (with an MLIS or equivalent combination of experience and education), with a professional interest in cataloging, classification, and collection development. Experience managing tabular data and spreadsheets is necessary, along with an understanding of relational databases. Passion for children's and young adult books and experience with collections about historically marginalized cultures, communities, or identities is preferred.
Comfort collaborating with remote team members, and excitement to work in a dynamic and expanding organization, are necessary.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Identify, classify, and review author and book-related websites as potential sources of online instructional materials for our collection.
- Manage and maintain the integration of audio, video, and digital resources from our providers into our collection.
- Improve the discoverability and consistency of resources in our collection through classification.
- Catalog, review, and approve instructional resources and bibliographic data for inclusion in our online collection.
- Contribute to the Collection Development Policy and Classification Manual.
- Collaborate with our team of librarians and educators to fulfill the mission of the organization.
See the job description for specific details.
It is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits, including a flexible schedule, option to work remotely, paid time off, 401k, professional development, and employer-subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance.
This position can be based anywhere in the United States, remotely working with our Online Content & Collection Development Team.
TeachingBooks.net LLC is a small educational company that strives to equitably give all readers insights and opportunities to deepen their understanding and joy of the books that they are reading. TeachingBooks is a digital collection of tens of thousands of resources about fiction and nonfiction trade books used in the K–12 curriculum, teacher education institutions, and public libraries. More than 44,000 schools currently have access to our service, including all schools in the states of California, Indiana, Iowa, New York, Texas, and Wisconsin.
Freely enjoy TeachingBooks by signing in at https://teachingbooks.net/Access.
Submit a cover letter and resume to Amy Scott, Director of Online Content & Collections, hiring@TeachingBooks.net.
Note: TeachingBooks is looking for applicants who bring a deep commitment to serving a diverse population and have experiences and perspectives that will enrich our goals of reaching all readers.