for Everything But the Kitchen Sink by Frieda Wishinsky, Elizabeth MacLeod, and Travis King
What child isn't going to want to know the answers to these questions? Step into any school cafeteria and you'll hear kids buzzing about food. Everything but the Kitchen Sink builds on that fascination with food through history, science, art, superstitions, and world records.
Organized in 10 fast-paced and fun chapters, Everything but the Kitchen Sink will present bite-size facts, interviews with fantastic "foodies," and amazing but true sidebars. Some recipes and activities are also included.
1. Hey, Dad, what's for breakfast! The first meal of the day across North America and around the world
2. Coo-coo, corn dogs, and mudbugs: Food through the ages: Why we eat what we eat
3. Why don't vampires like garlic? Outrageous food superstitions
4. Say cheese and grunt: Crazy food names and expressions
5. Snack attack! Everything you ever wanted to know about pizza, pop, cookies, and more
6. There's a lab in my kitchen: The science of food
7. Stuffed camel and other delicious holiday food: Festive foods and customs in North America and other continents
8. Biggest, longest, tallest, stinkiest: Food records that will amaze you
9. Who thought of that: Incredible food inventions
10. Everything but the kitchen sink: More fabulous food trivia