Introduce, extend, and communicate mathematical concepts.
- Make pictures, words, and math come together to tell a story with Stuart J. Murphy's Meet-the-Author Movie discussing his MathStart Series.
Provide authentic exploration and problem solving opportunities.
- Discuss how applying mathematical concepts in real life can be used to address critical problems with resources exploring Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margo Leo Shetterly.
Explore the lives, struggles, and successes of mathematicians.
- Delve into the hidden world of mathematicians with LeUyen Pham in her Meet-the-Author Book Reading for The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos.
"...Paul never really fit into society...he could find no other place except math to feel comfortable."
Engage all learners with picture books that connect concepts to everyday situations and start conversations.
- Introduce the importance of saving money with the Meet-the-Author Book Reading for My Rows and Piles of Coins by Tololwa M. Mollel.
1. Referenced from The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (n.d.). Retrieved February 20, 2017, from http://www.nctm.org/Standards-and-Positions/Principles-and-Standards/Principles,-Standards,-and-Expectations/